Monday, May 16, 2011

Chapter 4: The Best Way to Discover a City.


Me standing in front of one of two  Plaza de Espana towers

I haven't said much about Sevilla. Sevilla is a great city - it is an urban city but has many gardens and parks which create small areas to take a break from city. It has lots of historic buildings and cathedrals. Two of my favorites are Plaza de Espana and La Giralda (a huge cathedral). Yesterday I was heading home by myself and decided to try and take the bus. I knew the C1 bus stopped near my house but had no clue where it went. I decided I would hop on it and take an adventure. Little did I know that my stop was about 45 minutes away, but I realized that hoping on a bus a riding it around is a great way to discover a city. This bus went all over (past the bridge, out near the airport, etc.), but I think I got to see part of the city I normally wouldn't see. It was also interesting to sit among people from Seville and listen to them talk and just quietlly observe the surroundings. Yesterday there were two soccer games here. Sevilla played and Betis played earlier. We were going to try and go to the Sevilla game since it was their last home game, but tickets were expensive and they sold out of the cheap ones. Both teams won, and Betis became the top of their league. People were going crazy over Betis, especially where I lived. As I walked home from dinner, people where on mopeds waving flags, cars honking their horns, and group of people walking restaurant to restaurant singing and cheering. As I sat in my bed last night I could still hear all the commotion along with fireworks. Everything is going well living in the city, however it is extremely hot. 





La Girlada (tower of the cathedral)
Yesterday I ate lunch by myself at a tapas bar because plans with friends fell through. But as I was on my own, it was great to have to fend for myself. Ordering at the restaurant and observing the people was a great experience. I didn't have to rely on someone else helping me. Yesterday we just walked around a lot since nothing is open. Everything besides some restaurants is closed on Sundays. The entire city is shut down basically while friends and family spend time in the parks, etc. They really do value friends and family here and dedicate a lot of time to be with each other. Today was our first day of class. I got the walk to the school down to 25 minutes today. The school is really nice, except the classrooms don't have AC. The teachers are very nice and I think the classes will help me with my Spanish. One class is conversation and grammar. I need help with conversation because the past year I have taken Business Spanish classes so I have forgotten simple vocabulary and phrases needed to hold a conversation. I am also taking a Spanish Art History class that will I am really looking forward to. I think we get to go to some museums as a class. Today we have a field trip to the Giralda which I have posted a picture.  The other day we saw a large, ornate procession which included two marching bands, a moving alter, incense, and a line of nuns.  We later found out it was a First Communion - they do it big here. I'll report on cathedral later.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Colin,

    Thanks for describing all the sites, sounds and tastes of the Sevilla..I am jealous. Post a picture of the school when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all sounds amazing Colin ! I like how you can walk everywhere and fact that people just seem to enjoy life. Good lessons for us Americans to learn ! Lori

    ReplyDelete